Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday Weigh In

Weight: 248.2
BMI: 42.6o

This is a really good weigh in. Last week's Tuesday weigh in was 251.6, so today represents a loss of 3.4 pounds week to week. A nice number. Today's weigh in also means I've now lost over 5 points of BMI. The 5 point mark is in some ways a particularly big deal: losing 5 points of BMI is enough to go from "Obese" to "Normal." Of course, I'm still very, very, very far from either regular obese or normal, but it's nice to dream.

The weekend with my brother was fun and interesting. Throughout my scale was way up (to the point where I was worried I might not lose this week) but I think that was a function of the departure from my normal schedule. On the basis of this morning's weigh in, it seems as if I was losing weight throughout, even if the scale didn't show it.

Honestly, and I know this is going to sound weird, but this weekend made a life of normal weight eating feel, well, normal. Fine, acceptable, fun even. My brother is the only normal weight person in my immediate family, and this weekend, although it was at my house, was really on his schedule. On Saturday we walked to a small local place for lunch: I ate a delicious BBQ beef brisket sandwich. It was rich and filling, but small. I didn't eat any sides or extras. My brother ate a sandwich and like me, no sides or chips or anything like that. Then we walked to a museum (the International Spy Museum, if anyone's curious). We walked around the museum. We walked to a movie. We didn't eat popcorn or anything there, or snack at any other point during the day. We walked home afterward. Then walked to a restaurant for dinner.

I could keep going, but here's the gist of it: we ate out, and ate well, but not too much. We walked everywhere. We didn't snack. It was normal. It was sustainable. It was a great weekend, and a weekend that felt like "hey, I could live my life like this."

In different but related news, the wavering continues as to whether I'll end up pushing my deadline back from 10/15 to 10/25. The current sustained loss needed (2.876) is higher than my initial sustained loss needed (2.833). It's still better than what it was looking like a day in (2.920). I think for now I'll keep it as is, since if we look at the whole week I did indeed beat the needed pace. However, I'm still not certain. As of now, a day where I lose .4 pounds is a bad day in terms of the goal, even though I know that is and should be a good day. I have to lose .5 pounds for a day to be a winner, and that, quite frankly, is more than I can manage. Still, just a few good days should push it below the 2.800 mark, which would return .4 days to wins, which they are. The sustained losses needed for both my long term goal and my long term stretch goal are at all time lows: they're now at 1.507 at 2.125, respectively.

Oh! My brother did mention that they're going to have me and his fiancee's sister walk down the aisle on the wedding day, so that's a bit of added pressure/inspiration to keep this thing going. He didn't explicitly say "bridesmaid" so I don't know if I'll technically be one of those, but I will be in the procession. Scary!

13 comments:

  1. Way to go Hadley, it's great that you can step out of your daily routine and still keep up good eating habits and not let it blow your plan! All this math though...(.4 vs .5, 2.876 vs 2.833) how in the world do u keep up with all that, it makes my head hurt! Don't let the wedding thing stress you out too much, just keep going like you are and deal with it when it comes. I will be having to deal with that too soon, so hopefully you will remind me...the words Maid of Honor are freaking me out already!!! You are doing awesome, I love it when I see there's a new post from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your number crunching makes my brain hurt Hadley! Great weigh in and I am glad you had such a good time with your brother.

    I think it will help to have the wedding as a motivator. I think you will hit and surpass your goals the way you are going. GO HADLEY GO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet job, Hadley, you are putting us to shame :)~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing just absolutely wonderful! I love the numbers thing too! It appeals to the Finance major in me!

    I hope you do get to be a bridesmaid in the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a terrific weekend. I wish we lived in a place where we could walk to & from more stores & eateries.

    Congrats on the loss - fabulous!

    I don't know how you keep up with all the math! You're def. more analytical than I am...want to come work on my household budget? My excel spreadsheet would probably make you cringe. lol

    Have a great week!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job this week! Snacking can be good for the metabolism, though, as long as you are having small meals throughout the day! Sounds like you had a great weekend with your brother and congrats on the upcoming wedding. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for your goal, some weeks you'll lose more weight than other weeks so maybe take that into consideration. I think it's great how your day of eating went. I want to eat like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Hadley for the great tips on my blog. I appreciate all the comments. You keep up the good work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had a great time with your brother.

    Feeling "normal" is the best. I liked how you said it was sustainable. You're right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Almost three and a half pounds in one week is awesome! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great weigh in! Congrats on your progress and keep up the good work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Walking down the aisle will be great inspiration! I love it when eating feels normal too. Sometimes I feel like I think about it WAY too much. It's nice to forget about it like a normal person!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! Congrats on the super weight loss this week.

    ReplyDelete