Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hadley and the new suit jacket (with pictures)

So, I've got an enormous meeting today. If you'd noticed me slacking in commenting, it's because I've been ridiculously busy at work. A lot of that work is going to come to fruition in a meeting this afternoon.

At my office, every one wears a suit every day but Friday. However, us low-level policy folks are typically allowed to keep our suit jackets in our offices. Sure, I need to wear it to occasional meetings and events, and I'll put my jacket on if I know I'm going to be wandering where the highest-ups are. In all, though, I don't wear it much. Thus, even though I'm now wearing size 18 suit pants, I hadn't bought anything smaller than my original 22 jacket. It just hadn't seemed worth it. Last week, though, the tent like nature of my 22 jacket was starting to get to me:



So, with my big Monday meeting, I decided that this weekend, enough was enough. I went to Macy's, determined to pick up a size 18 jacket of my favorite suit. (Madison suit by Calvin Klein, that's the one where I have the 20 and 18 pants.) But, they had no 18s. No 20s, either. Only 22s and 16s. After a "Grr" I tried on the size 16. IT FIT. I am not shitting you. Granted it's all stretchy and plus sized and a little too tight, but check it out:



And while I was there, I decided to pick up the size 16 pants, just for giggles and to shrink into. In all but the side view of the size 16 jacket (which I just retook because the first one was terrible) I'm actually wearing the 16 pants. They're still too tight for me to wear to work, but they're buttonable. (Mind you, I just declared the 18s work appropriate on Thursday, so it'll be a while.)

And, you know, while I'm posting pictures, I thought it would be worth showing you the shirt I'm wearing underneath the suits:


(For the record, the weird lumps are mostly from the too small pants.) Anyway, guess what size the shirt is? You know, just if you had to throw one out there. Oh, all right, I'll show you:

Yes, that is a size Large. No X's. Just a large. I shit you not.

I've still got a long way to go before I can wear regular sizes in most clothes, but it's pretty awesome to have one size large shirt that actually fits and fits me well. I have the same shirt in XL in two colors, and while I wear them, they both feel a bit on the big size.

Anyway, I'm really happy about the suit jacket. I love the way it looks, and I'm damn excited to wear it. It's definitely still tight, and I doubt I'll keep it buttoned during the day. (I also took a photo of it unbuttoned, then tried the button and it was all badass and "Hey I maybe sort of have a waist instead of just fat into fat into one big blobby circle of fat.")

That 22 jacket used to be tight on me. It used to be fabulous. It used to be my favorite suit jacket. Today, I'm wearing the size 16 version, and you know what? It's so much better.

I know I have a long way to go. Another 100ish pounds to lose is no small battle. But right now, in this very moment, I feel like I've already accomplished a lot.

I hope everyone has a great Monday, and wish me luck at my meeting!

23 comments:

  1. AWESOME! That size 16 jacket makes you look so incredibly fabulous! The way it comes in at the waist really accentuates how much weight you have lost. And the size L shirt? YAY!

    Hadley, you are doing this, and doing a great job. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING! Manic Mondays become a myth when it comes to smaller suit jackets! Hope you have a great meeting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like fitting into smaller clothes!!

    and you look great in the size 16...much better than the 22!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Large! That's a goal for me too. I want to go to a "normal store"....it's not that I don't love Lane Bryant or the Avenue but I am SICK of them! I would like to be able to go to ANY store in the mall and buy clothes...is that too much to ask? I think you look great and I am having pants issues. My size 18's seem to be loose in the waist and snugger in the thighs...what's with my thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work, Hadley and I completely love that shirt, it looks teal-ish! Thanks for the pics, tis nice to have some new motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy shit! (Keeping with your theme there!) Hadley, this is FANTASTIC! I love it! You look AMAZING!!! What a difference between those jackets! Donate that large one. You rock!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck at your meeting. And, WAY TO GO on the new suit jacket. I am so impressed. You look great.
    Most women's shelters take suits and stuff so that women can go on job interviews, so feel good and DONATE!
    (Did I mention that you look great???)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love wearing a smaller size! Makes it worth all my hard work!

    Way to go...love the suit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! And good luck with your meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You go girl! Looking all good in your skinny girl suit. I am so happy for you. Keep it up and good luck in your meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you look great!! Fitting into new clothing sizes is such a thrill. I have to admit, I spend way too much time playing Fashion Show with myself as a result. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are looking terrific!!!! Another 100 pounds?! Are you serious?? I don't think you have that much more to lose, girl - you're looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great indicator that you are shrinking before our eyes! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad I found your blog! I've been looking for "real" women trying to lose weight and telling about their victories and frustrations. I'm so thrilled for you--that's a fantastic jump! The pictures of you in the new suit are awesome--you have a curvy figure now and more defined. You have to feel really confident in that. Keep it up! I'm trying to lose 30-60 myself (I put a huge range on it because 30 would be acceptable but 60 would be where I was before I started gaining weight in my late 30s).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome Hadley!! Congrats on the new smaller sizes. You are rockin'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is totally awesome!!! You can't hear it but I am clapping like mad for you. I know how wonderful that feels-woo hoo!! You look fabulous in the 16s by the way. And good luck with your meeting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic!! I am so proud you got into the 16's!! I love the Calvin Klein suits and wear them myself. Prepregnancy, I am in the 24's and they were tight. I can't wait to see how I would look in a 16. How motivating and exciting that must be for you. Woo HOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do look GREAT in that size 16 jacket. I can totally tell how it accentuates your figure versus the tent version. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have awarded you the Honest Scrap Award.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice going! I know how exciting it is when you "surprisingly" fit in to a smaller size. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations -- you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the size 16, btw you look amazing! (:

    ReplyDelete