Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday Weigh In (and handing out a few awards)

Weight: 241.0

That's a loss of .9 pounds week to week. Not great, but all things considered, I'll take it.

Sue from Did I Just Eat That Out Loud gave me the following:

Rules are: say six things about yourself that your readers wouldn't already know, and then pass it along. While I poured my heart out over the Honest Scrap award, today I'm going to do smaller things:

1. I use proper grammar and spelling in text messages. I did this even back in the day when phones didn't have keyboards and typing a single letter could take a few clicks. I also use language that has no business being in text messages. A few phrases I've recently texted, just to give you a feel for it: "pretending to rummage," "political disagreements aside," "very adept at spreadsheets."

2. I'm terrible at the difference between effect and affect. Every time I think I've finally got it down, I end up messing up.

3. I hate shaving my legs, and still end up accidentally cutting myself all the time. Having smaller legs, and thus less to shave, is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

4. I'm not entirely on board with quantum physics. The idea that an electron moves from one place to another without moving in between doesn't really make sense, and the general concept of "these are the rules of physics until things get really small" seems a bit like nonsense to me. Now, I don't actually have any proof, but if this ended up being one part of science that later gets proved wrong, I wouldn't be surprised.

5. In that same vein, I'm pretty sure the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a cop out. Oh, I said it.

6. This Zoe Williams article on irony from 2003 is still one of my favorite pieces of writing ever. The article has a few typos in it, which bugs me to no end. When I send it to friends, I'll sometimes copy/paste it into the email and fix them.

I'm not going to give it back to Did I Just Eat That Out Loud, even though I'm sorely tempted to because I love her blog that much. Instead, I'm going to pass the award on to a few of my favorite folks who haven't gotten this particular award yet:

Monica at Confessions of a + Sized Girl - I love Monica's blog an inordinate amount. Like, I love it so much people would be like "your amount of love for Confessions is not within reasonable limits."

Jo at 282.5 - I may actually have been able to award this to her first! Seriously, though, I love Jo, and I love her blog, and there's no way I could not award this to her.

S. at Ethereal Endeavor - S. seems amazingly smart. She strikes me as someone who I would hit it off with in real life, and the sort of person who I could lose arguments to on a regular basis. Trust me when I say that's high praise.

Lynn at Actual Scale - Lynn is fabulous. She's given me so much information, so much good advice, so much help, and I just can't say enough how much I appreciate it. Her words of wisdom occasionally fill in as the big sister I never had and sorely need. Seriously, thank you Lynn.

Katie J from Katie J Is on Her Way - Some day, Katie's going to have to be like "Hadley stop copying me" and that will be a sad day indeed. She inspires me so much, and more than she probably knows. She inspired me to get out a bugg, clean out my closet, and do all sorts of great things.

Erin at The XXL Files - Erin is amazing, and her blog is too. Not that many people read it yet, and many more should. It's great, seriously, it's one of those blogs you discover and go "how the hell was I not reading this yet?" Her blog is smart, funny, and touching. You should read it.

This is tough, because honestly, this list could go on and on. There are so many people I'd like to give this to: HD, 266, Jenn, Learning To Be Less, F. McButter, the Kittehs, Jodikris, Jack, I could go on and on. But I'm only supposed to do 6, so 6 I shall do.

Also, the Kittehs hit me with a fabulous new (and super pretty) rule free blog award:


Thank you Orange Kitteh! Thank you Black Kitteh! You two are the bee's knees.

12 comments:

  1. You inspire me my dear!! Thank you for ALL your kindness and the caring thoughts you have sent my way. It means A LOT to me! I even talk about you to my IRL friends and say "My buddy Hadley said this" and "My friend the Economist" You rock Miss Hadley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the awards! You totally deserve the recognition! And thanks for the honorable mention! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve that award for your excellence in all things! I love all those blogs you gave it to and the honorable mention ones as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Hadley, TY! I love knowing you love my blog as much as I love yours! You have no idea how you just lifted my spirits, ty again, and again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww...:blushness:
    spanks hadley...i've been trying to tell people for years they need to listen to me...lol
    and as far as blogs i love...yours is defffinitely on the list. i love that you have a vocabulary and use it, are fanatical about grammar and are completely a smart as hell, open and honest, awesome chickie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the awards. You deserve them. Yours was one of the first weight loss blogs that I came across and it's still my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for your loss and your awards. :D

    Quantum physics is definately one of those things that baffles the mind. ::nods::

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Hadley, thank you so much! I feel the same about you!

    I also have difficulty with affect and effect and will reconstruct a sentence so I don't have to look it up--again. lol

    Congrats on your well-deserved awards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love it when you talk quantum physics to me. MeOW.

    And I am with you on the texting. I refuse to say U, frnds, LOL, or even ROFLOL. Ick.

    I have affect and effect down, but not always who and whom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hadley, I am glad to read that I am not the only one who uses proper grammar while texting. Even though proper grammar is a pet peeve of mine, I tend to misspell grammar all the time (grammer!) How crazy is that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You didn't need to leave a comment about the award on my blog! I always read your blog so there was no chance I'd miss it. :-)

    I too am a bit hardcore when it comes to grammar and text messages (and in general -- although I do insist on spelling out 'okay' even though I know it's wrong. I refuse to accept that 'ok' is correct...or should that be korrect??). And you're right, I am amazingly smart. ;-)

    But seriously, I really enjoy reading your blog and there's been more than one occasion when I've started writing a really long rambling comment discussing something you wrote but ultimately decided not to post it because it was just too long and felt a little like I might be hijacking your comments. :-)

    Thanks for the award, though. I came across it yesterday (but didn't have time to comment) and it really made my day! Of course, people commenting about my intelligence tends to do that too! :-) The feeling is mutual though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm an only child so I never got to pull the know it all big sister routine on anyone as a child. It spills out now onto my children and pretty much everyone else. I try to contain it to people actually asking for opinions but...hey, no one is perfect.

    Thanks for the award, but thank you even more for the words.

    All my best,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete