Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday Weigh In

Weight: 235.5
BMI: 40.42

I'm 2.5 pounds away from not being morbidly obese. Two and a half pounds. Wow. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

When I started this blog, I said in my very first post that the goal I was using to drive myself was the idea of not being morbidly obese:

My name is Hadley. I'm morbidly obese. On July 7th, when I started my weight loss journey, I weighed 278 lbs. I'm down a bit now--I hit a new low of 270.7 yesterday--but not by much. I have a lot of weight to lose. I need to hit 145 to no longer be overweight. 145 lbs is, essentially, a world, 58 leagues, four languages and two centuries away, so I won't be focusing on that number much. Sure, yeah, it would be nice and maybe I'll get there eventually. For now though, it's such an alien concept I can't even really focus on it.

So I don't. I focus on not being morbid.

Morbidly obese is one of those icky, icky terms. It's one of those shock terms. Scary words. A scary concept. And yet, also day-to-day reality for me and millions of others.

Right now, my goal is just to not be morbid.

For that, I need to get to 233 pounds. That's a trim 45 pounds away from my starting weight and 37.7 pounds from my current low. It's pretty far away, there's no doubt about it. If you do the standard 1-2 pounds a week with the occasional slip up, you could spend anywhere between half a year and a year on it. But, 233 pounds is something I can imagine. It's a place I can see myself getting. And it's a place I'm going to go.

I am two and a half pounds away from not being morbid. Wow.

This Saturday I found myself staring at my stomach. For the first time, really, it felt smaller than it used to be. I felt smaller than I used to be. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've known for a while that I've been getting smaller. My old clothes are way too big for me. When I do comparison pictures, the difference is clearly visible. The bathtub feels a bit roomier than it used to. But this Saturday was the first time I ever looked at a part of my body and just thought, point blank, "wow, that's smaller."

I'm a bit over four months in at this point so I know the luster should have worn off, but it just hasn't yet. These days I wake up and I'm just blown away by how much I've accomplished. I've entered some sort of twilight zone where there's not a doubt in my mind that this is forever, this is for real, that I will succeed.

Anyway, two mini goals for the week:

1. I'm going to push myself really hard to get to not morbid by next Tuesday. It'll be tough. I haven't put up a 2.5 pound week since early September, and I only did one pound this week. But, I think I can do it, and at the very least I'm going to try.

2. I'm going to get back into the habit of posting every weekday. Yes, work is still pretty crazy and Arabic is hard, but taking time to blog and comment on other blogs makes everything else much easier. So, see you all around the blogosphere!

46 comments:

  1. "Obese" is a had enough word, but qualifying it with "morbidly" is just hitting below the belt. Anyway, kudos on getting within spitting distance of that fantastic milestone, Hadley. One big push and you can start the next stage of your journey... leaving Obese City!

    You're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will get there and very soon, how exciting is that...am sure you can see that number on the scale already..keep doing what you know you have to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so close and your success is unlimited after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such wonderful news Miss Hadley! I am sooooo happy for you! Been missing your posts so I am glad to see you will be blogging a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so close! Keep up the good work. Sounds like you're busy. Been missing you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dropping "morbidly" from my title was one of the happiest experiences on this journey. I can't wait for it to happen to you!!! It is an ugly, icky word.

    Congrats on all your success, your hard work, and your winning attitude.

    I'm glad you're going to start blogging regularly again. I need to get back in gear myself. Life gets in the way sometimes, doens't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! You're so close! I'm so excited for you!

    And, selfishly, I'm excited at the prospect of having you back every weekday. I've missed my favorite economist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing so awesome! I am so proud of you! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - congratulations! You're success and the fact that you're still just as motivated & determined really is inspiring! Good luck & keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know just what you mean about noticing the smallness of various body parts. This whole journey is just so shocking and exciting and it seems like every time I turn around there's something new to marvel over. Who knew I had collar bones, for example?!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Massive congratulations on how far you've come. Awesome, awesome post. Any you are so close! You will be there. If not next Tues, the one after. You are doing great! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're doing great!! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You have come so far and so fast! I really admire your dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing progress - congrats! You should be so proud - four months is nothing! Keep it up - I'm fighting with you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy for you! I always like reading your posts and hearing your news!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just got goosebumps. You are a total inspiration. You go kick some ass. I believe you will. So exciting! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! It does take a while for your mind's eye to catch up with the actual changes on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hadley, I am so excited for you! This is going to be an awesome threshold to cross. You are doing awesome! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m finally trying to catch up!!! It seems like you have been away a bit too… it’s so hard to stay on top of everything. Congrats on consistently having losses at your weigh-ins! I think that’s great, and you are so, so close to being out of that dreaded morbidly obese category. Sorry you have been so stressed at work though; hopefully things on that front calm down a little for you in the near future. In the meantime, kick butt this week because I can not wait to see next week’s weigh-in. I am positive you will make it to this goal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really glad for you, congratulations. (: I cheer for you to reach the goal by next week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uck, I despise the word obese.
    Congrats on another upcoming milestone. It is great to push yourself, but even if it takes an extra week, we'll still love you. :)

    I don't have an ear for languages (yet I am teaching my daughter Spanish...laughable, I know!) so I have empathy for you on the Arabic. I can only imagine how challenging it must be! I have a cousin in your neck of the woods who is a UN interpretor...it just amazes me. People who can just pick up other languages just flat out amazes me since I have so much trouble with it.
    Best of luck w/your class & your milestone!
    Hugs,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wight loss really needs determination and hard work. Congratulation on your acheivement.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just came across your blog and really enjoyed reading your past posts!

    Congratulations on getting close to "not being morbid". I'm looking forward to that day myself....except my journey involves losing a total of 212 pounds! Overwhelming at times!

    Here's a link to my site:
    http://weightogo-diaryofafatchick.blogspot.com/

    I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow you have come so far!! Congrats on the progress you have made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just checking in on you!
    Know you've been busy, but hope all is well. :)

    Best wishes,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  26. I miss you Hadley! Hope things are going okay

    ReplyDelete
  27. yoo-hoo...

    Hadley.....

    where are you?????

    hope you're well

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hadley, where are you? I miss your pressence in the blogosphere and I want to know how you are doing. Please come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just wanted to come by & wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. :)

    Thinking of you & hoping all is well,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  30. Girl, where have you been? We are missing you out here. Come back to blogging. I hope you are just busy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Where are you my firend...I am wondering how your family was during Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Come out come out wherever you are! Missing you Hadley. Hope things are going okay. Just wanted you to know I was thinking about ya

    ReplyDelete
  33. great minigoals and, for me, the posting every week day would be the biggest to keep me accountable.
    even just a few sentences.
    xo xo,

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  34. No doubt you will get where you want to be soon...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey Hadley, you haven't posted in a looong time and I was just wondering how things are going for you. Hopefully well, but either way, I'm betting I'm not the only one wondering. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Where are you? Are you okay? I need some of your snarkiness....

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thinking about you and wanted you to know...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, this is so inspiring!! Congratulations on your success, and good luck going forward! It takes a tremendous amount of strength to do what you've done, and I have a lot of respect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. So have you made it? Miss your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hadley! I miss you and your posts! I hope you are SAFE and WELL!

    (Insert those mop commercials) Baby come backkkkkkkkkkkk

    ReplyDelete